- Fantastic performances by Jessica Chastain & Idris Elba. Both of them deliver the Sorkin dialogue to perfection & put you in awe with each monologue. Elba gives the standout monologue here where he stands up for Chastain’s character, Molly Bloom, that gives off such power & passion that you never question his characters motives for a second. Both should definitely be considered for an Oscar nomination in their respected categories.
- Good performances by Kevin Costner, Michael Cera & Chris O’Dowd.
- Fine direction by Aaron Sorkin. For this being Sorkin’s directorial debut, he definitely has a future as a director.
- This film easily has one of the best screenplays of the year & is chock-full of the iconic Sorkin dialogue. As I said earlier this film is full of some impeccable monologues, as well as some great narration that moves the story on extremely well. Also can’t go without mentioning the great “park bench” scene between Chastain & Costner that is one of the most touching & pleasing scenes of the year. This screenplay is a for sure lock for an adapted screenplay nomination.
- The film introduces some interesting characters the take part in the poker games, most of which add something to the story, while some don’t.