- Oscar level performance by Denzel Washington. Washington is absolutely transformative in this performance showing something I’ve never seen from him furthering his range to the fullest & giving one of the best performances of his career.
- Roman J. Israel as a character is built tremendously, making him feel so real every second he’s on screen, much props to Dan Gilroy’s screenplay for that.
- The film is very heavy-handed at points.
- The film has a strong first two acts, spending them as a drama/character study, then in the third act it falls apart attempting to turn itself into a thriller.
- Wish they would have added more development to the supporting characters. I know this is a character study but Dan Gilroy has shown to develop side characters in past character study films, such as “Nightcrawler”.