- Oscar level performances by Mary J. Blige & Jason Mitchell. Both of these fantastic performances give a strong feel of wearing down & tired from all their past life & current life problems. I would also like to give major props to Blige for being so unrecognizable in her amazing transformation.
- Great performances by Rob Morgan, Garrett Hedlund & Carey Mulligan. Morgan gives multiple extremely hard hitting monologues that strike right into your core.
- Oscar level screenplay by Virgil Williams & Dee Rees. This is one of the most powerful movies I’ve seen all year and part of that comes from this amazing screenplay, that features multiple amazing monologues and just a flat out hard hitting story.
- Great direction by Dee Rees. For anyone asking where a great female director is, Rees is your answer. She is definitely someone to watch out for in the coming years.
- Oscar level cinematography by Rachel Morrison. Morrison uses natural lighting brilliantly to set up the scenery of this lonesome farm.
- I feel they could have added more meat to some of the supporting characters & fleshed them out more.